Painted Lady

“Painted Lady” c. 1859
Previously known as the Gaines/Jackson/Waters home. After the Battle of Iuka , many local houses were used as hospital’s to care for the wounded and dying solders. The kind ederly woman who lived in this home at that time, cared for a number of these men. Many changes have been made to this home including the 1890 rennovation by W.O. Jackson. By the turn of the century, the house was being used as a boarding house to accommodate the many summer visitors coming to vacation near the famous Mineral Springs Park. in 2012, the home was restored to its former elegance by its current owners Bill and Kathy Daugherty Gurley.